Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Passover Crabcakes

We have been so busy this past week, that the Passover sting hasn't really affected me.  No crazy cravings for doughnuts or pretzels.  Meals in general have been a bit of a rush about, going from one seder to another, or throwing together some easy weeknight options.

Thatbaby is off from preschool this week for Spring Break.  Which wrecks havoc on Thatboy and my schedule.  He took the first part of the week, I took the second, and Thatmom is on toddler-duty until he's back to school next Wednesday.

The first half of the week, I do admit lunches were pretty boring - I packed myself grilled chicken and broccoli.  But when I was home, I had the use of a stove and microwave, so things were pretty good.  As for dinners, being home with Thatbaby gave me time to be pretty inventive.  Alright, so not so inventive.  Really just Passover reinventions of normal, typical food.  Like crabcakes and hush puppies.
Both are easy enough substitutions to Passover.  The best crabcakes are light on breadcrumbs anyway, and matzoah meal is a pretty good substitute.  Hushpuppies are a little more difficult, since the main ingredient is cornmeal.  I used a sweet potato base instead, mixed with matzoh meal, green onions, and eggs.  I think these have a little way to go.  I used my food processor to shred the sweet potato, but I think it needs to be a bit finer consistency, like pureed or grated.  We definitely liked the taste of the hush puppies, just not the consistency.


Passover Crabcakes
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup crab
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 cup matzoh meal
  • canola oil
  1. Combine mayo, eggs, green onions, Old Bay, and Worcestershire sauce.
  2. Stir in the crab, green onions, and matzoh meal.  Form into patties (This made 8 for me)
  3. Heat 1 inch of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.  Cook each patty 1-2 minutes per side, until browned.

1 comment:

  1. I bet you wouldn't even know these were kosher for passover!

    ReplyDelete