Pages

Friday, April 04, 2014

Raspberry Bars











As I mentioned earlier this week, April means it's time for Passover.  And I've already started menu planning.  Or more specifically, thinking about what we'll be eating during that time period.  There'll be a lot of repeated favorites, including Cara's "Grandma's Raspberry Squares."  And when I thought about that I realized that most Passover recipes I make are Passover versions of things I eat the "regular" version of.  Except these squares.  And so, while I still can, I thought I would try to adapt a Passover recipe into a non-Passover kind.  The result?  No surprise here - just as good as the original!

Raspberry Bars (Inspired by Cara's Cravings)
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
raspberry jam 
  1. Preheat oven to 375.  Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.  Cream the shortening, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract in an electric mixer.
  2. Sgtir in the egg and blend well.
  3. Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and salt and add to the wet ingredients, mixing well.
  4. Spread half the dough in the pan, then cover with a layer of jam.  Pat the remaining dough on top.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Cool completely before cutting into bars.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're un-Passover-ifying recipes! I'm sure these bars are awesome either way.

    ReplyDelete