Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

My summer staple: Arugula, Feta, and Cherry Pasta Salad


On Saturday night, we met up with Thatmom and her boyfriend for dinner.  We headed to Thatmom's favorite pizza joint here in San Diego.  She's a creature of habit.  When we dine together in San Diego it's at one of two places, depending on whether we're having breakfast or dinner.

It's nice to have a staple though, something that you can count on.  Especially when it comes to food.  There's something comforting about a reliable dish that you know you'll enjoy.  As I said before, for me that's pasta salads in the summer.  I really think I make about one a week.

Really, the only way to eat pasta in the summer is salad style.  It's too warm for a hot and heavy alfredo or ragu.  Plus, eating it cold means you can mix in fresh herbs, which taste their best in the summer.  Horse Whisperer gave us a lovely homecoming gift that included a basil plant, so I'm making the most of it. 

Feta is another one of my summer staples.  I love it mixed with sweet watermelon, or tossed in with a green salad, or in this case pasta salad.  Something about the saltiness just tastes like summer to me.

Arugula Feta, and Cherry Pasta Salad
8 oz orzo
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 cup arugula
4 oz feta
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup basil, chiffonade
2 Tbsp pine nuts
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper
  1. Cook orzo according to package directions.  Drain and cool.
  2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Add orzo to bowl, tossing to coat in the olive oil. 

3 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely divine! I have never cooked with orzo before, but this looks like a good enough excuse to try it!For the sake of saving some money though, could you potentially swap it for rice? Your blog is great by the way! Gonna have a dive into the archive now ^ ^ Have a great weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this salad! Perfect for summer.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I are totally in accord when it comes to summer pasta! This is my kind of salad.

    ReplyDelete