Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sunday Runday: Fit Foodie Part 1

So in this post I'll cover the cocktail party and the race itself.  Stay tuned next week for the recap on the yoga, brunch, and my thoughts on my ambassador experience.


As an ambassador for the Fit Foodie Race Series, I was given entry to all the weekend activities.  And let me tell you, it was quite a weekend!  I ditched my husband and child and stayed downtown in San Diego which made it an even more fun weekend for me.  No children to feed, no dogs to walk, no husband to clean up after. 

Friday night the excitement began.  The weekend kicked off with a "Light up the Night" cocktail party at Florent.






I have to admit, when I first got there I was completely intimidated by the fact that I was by myself and knew no one, as opposed to everyone else there who seemed to have brought their best friends.  But then I met Haley, and the night just got that much better.  Haley is another race ambassador.  Who was also there by herself.  We also ended up hooking up with some more ambassadors, Kay Lynn, Kellen, and Whitney and we spent the night holding down a table and getting to know each other over wine and so much delicious Sartori cheese.

Saturday morning was the BIG event, the actual Fit Foodie 5k.  It started outside the Hilton Bayfront with a little warm-up for all the runners which included dancing AND yoga.



But let's talk about the part that's helpful to you.  Let's talk about the course itself.  Because it's always helpful to hear about the course if you're thinking of signing up for a race.  This is a really great course, for two reasons.  The first, is that it's really beautiful to run along the harbor.


You are bayside the entire time.  So there's the water, the boats, the bridges.  Very scenic.  But the other reason it's a great course is because it's flat.  100% flat.  Not "flat" which really means there's only one hill, or small hills.  No, it's sidewalk flat.

  
The course is predominately an out and back course, with side jaunts around little tree-lined inlets.  My only issue is that it wasn't quite a 5k.  So we ran out for a little less than a mile, and then back and through those tree inlets for just around 2 miles.  My gps read 3.05 when I finished, which was .01 farther than some of the women I spoke with as we neared the end.

 Beautiful course aside, what set this race apart from most others was the Finisher's Village.  You've never seen anything like this before!  There were row upon row of vendors/sponsers dying to give you free goodies.  I skipped the super long line at Lexus which resulted in massages and water bottles, but I tried to hit up just about everyone else.





 Cooking Light also had a booth set up with samples of food and treats!



And before you think all the samples were the same old things you find at any race, let me show you the Sabazon tent, where they were making and handing out acai bowls to the runners.  Acai bowls are one of my all time weaknesses.




In addition to the free samples, there were cooking demonstrations!
 


 I've been very into Greek food lately, so I was especially excited about this pita stuffed with steak, hummus and cucumber.


Throughout the morning there were also Fitness demonstrations led by  Patrick Goudeau and Kristin McGee.



I stumbled back to my hotel with so much good stuff!

That's 2 boxes of quest bars, quest chips, resistance bands, a water bottle, a backpack, water, Zico coconut water, Suja drinks, Bhakti chai, luna bars, skinny girl bars, lara bars, perfect bars, Hawaiian Host chocolate covered macadamia nuts, Sahale snacks, 2 lip balms, moisturizer, sunglasses, and hairbands!

All in all, a pretty good morning. 

2 comments:

  1. No doubt that this is a good good morning!!! Love the feeling of being fit and running.

    For the first time, I'm organizing a giveaway for 4 lucky winners and hope that you can be one of them :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like so much fun!! An awesome race AND lots of goodies...what could be better?

    ReplyDelete