Pages

Sunday, December 07, 2014

Sunday Runday: Have Shoes Will Travel






One of my favorite things about running is that you can do it anywhere.  And so I do.

Every time we travel I throw some running clothes and my vibrams in my suitcase and I take any opportunity to hit the road of my new surroundings.





It's one of the best ways to get to know wherever you are.  Take in the sites and see the community.  I remember running around Victoria, BC, up and down neighborhoods and out to the ocean.  Or through low country Savannah, underneath Spanish moss hanging from trees.





I'm lucky enough to live close enough to the coast that most of my runs are beside the beach and the ocean, so I'm especially grateful when we travel somewhere with different scenery.  Like this weekend when we were in the desert, surrounded by mountains.  Running through such beautiful surroundings makes my runs more interesting.  When you run the same route over and over it becomes...rote.  You stop appreciating the beauty around you. 


On top of that, running on vacation is a great way to start the day.  You know how good you feel after a nice run?  Well imagine that after a great night's sleep in a hotel bed, with a yummy filing breakfast to look forward to.  And all that endorphin fueled energy propelling you through the rest of the day.





So the next time you pack for a trip, go ahead, throw a pair of running shoes in there too.  You might not use them, but think of the adventure that lies ahead if you do.

1 comment:

  1. So true. Some of my favorite runs have been random vacation runs!

    ReplyDelete