Pages

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Thanksgiving Wrap Up: Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas


Are you Thanksgiving-ed out?  Between you and I, I am.  Don't get me wrong, I love my family.  My crazy family.  And I had an absolutely lovely Thanksgiving, with good food, great company, and lots of laughs.

But Thanksgiving stretches out too long for me.  It starts Wednesday afternoon, and in my family carries on till Saturday night.  Because there are visiting relatives to spend time with, and so much to accomplish in a short period of time.  Friday we did breakfast out, then a disastrous Santa attempt, then some black Friday shopping.  The entire day was such a mess, it left a bad taste in my mouth.  And then we're rushing home on Sunday to try and get a million things done before we're right back into work on Monday.

So right now I'm more tired than I was last week before the break!  And I think I'm still full from those heavy meals, and pie upon delicious pie.  So now in the brief respite between holidays, I'm going with some lighter, easier dishes. 

This may be the second easiest quesadilla in the world.  Cheese quesadillas require a little less work, because they have only 2 ingredients, but they aren't as good as these. The secret to these are roasted corn.  If you're making them in the summer, roast your own.  If you're making them in December, go with frozen roasted corn  (Trader Joes has my favorite).  The sweetness of the corn is key and provides a nice counterpart to the savory beans and salty cheese.


Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
1 cup black beans, warmed
1 cup roasted corn, warmed
4 tortillas
2 cups cheddar jack cheese, shredded
  1. In a small bowl, combine the black beans and roasted corn.
  2. Working 1 tortilla at a time, place the tortilla in a large skillet over medium heat.
  3. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over half the tortilla.
  4. Top with 1/2 cup of corn and bean mixture.
  5. Top with another 1/4 cup of cheese.
  6. Fold the tortilla in half, covering the filling.  Cook about 3 minutes per side, until the tortilla is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
  7. Repeat with remaining tortillas. 

1 comment:

  1. I defintiely felt like I needed a vacation after t-day weekend also. I was so happy that the.boy and I decided to take Monday off. These quesadillas sound like the perfect easy weeknight meal!

    ReplyDelete