Pages

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Sunday Runday: Maternity Running Clothes

I mentioned earlier that I was going to do a little write up about my switch to maternity running clothes.  Mostly because I was at a complete loss when I needed to find something to wear.  During my first pregnancy I did okay with wearing my regular running clothes, with race shirts in a large instead of a medium.  Except during the end, when even those larges didn't do a great job of covering my stomach.

This time, I've had more problems with my running pants being uncomfortable and my shirts riding up.  Given the amount of races I've been doing/have planned, I thought investing in a maternity running wardrobe would be a good idea.  I now have two "outfits" I rotate between.  One cheap, and the other expensive.

My cheap outfit comes from Old Navy, who seems to have a great corner on the maternity active wear market.




Old Navy Tank

What I like about this shirt is the fit in terms of comfort.  It's soft and doesn't ride up in the slightest.  There have been complaints that the built in bra isn't terribly supportive, but honestly, I've never been able to get away with relying solely on the built in bra for shirts, so that doesn't bother me too much.  The only thing I dislike about the shirt is that it isn't more tailored.  So when I wear it, sometimes I feel like I look more fat and less pregnant.

Old Navy Active Roll-Panel Yoga Capris

 I was reading that sometimes yoga pants are a better option than running pants during pregnancy because the cotton is more comfortable and breatheable.  I don't know if that's true, but I decided to go with it and grab a pair of these yoga capris.  The roll panel is nice because it can adjust to varying points of the pregnancy, although I got these late enough that the panel is always rolled allll the way up.  They're incredibly comfortable, and I think supportive enough that I haven't been dealing with bounce of discomfort while running.


With running clothes I've found that often you get what you pay for.  More expensive clothes tend to fit better, more comfortably, and last longer.  So I thought the same might be true for the maternity version.  With that in mind, I got a couple pieces from some higher end brands.

For Two Fitness Tank

For Two Fitness has been around long enough that almost every pregnant runner I know has a tank.  Which speaks well of the quality.  Personally, I really like the fit of it, which is more tailored than the Old Navy counterpart.  As far as comfort, the two run neck and neck.  Between you and I, I don't love the "running for two" saying in general, but it definitely helps with the fat/pregnant debate.

Ingrid and Isabel Active Long Pants with Crossover Panel

This was a recommendation from a runner friend.  And recommendations are my favorite way to find out about good products.  She told me she loved the Ingrid and Isabel pants, but they were a little pricey.  That being said, she was wearing a pair from her last pregnancy at the time, which bodes well for longevity.  These aren't compression pants, they are more compression-like than the Old Navy version.  Which I actually like.  I do regret a little getting the pants instead of the capris, because people, it's getting hot here! 

Any other pregnant runners out there with recommendations for maternity running clothes?  I've got 3 races in the next two months!




1 comment:

  1. I've gotten a few workout items from Old Navy and they are pretty good, though I do like the occasional expensive item splurge every once in a while. :)

    ReplyDelete