Pages

Friday, June 26, 2015

A Homemade Life: Buchons Au Poulet


We have a pretty typical routine for Father's Day.  Out for a pancake breakfast, then a day at the beach.  So naturally, when I talked to Thatboy about what he wanted to do for Father's Day, that was what I expected to hear.  

With a 1 week old in the house, he wasn't anxious to head out to the beach and lug everything that would be required to keep our newborn out of the sun all day.  So we made slightly different plans.  Only slightly different because like every other Father's Day, this one started out the same.

All the boys at our usual pancake breakfast.  Because it wouldn't be Father's Day without.

Instead of the beach, Thatboy thought it would be great to spend the day at the pool.  But ever since we moved from the apartment we don't have access to the complex pool anymore.  So we found a new place to play The Wave Waterpark.  We rented a cabana for the day which gave Thatbaby and I a nice, shady place to hang out.




While we laid in the shade, Thatboy and Thatkid took advantage of the rest of the waterpark.



Thatkid's favorite part was the lazy river.  He loved those inner tubes.


They also spent a lot of time in the actual pool.


Thatkid was too little for the waterslides, so Thatboy played there without him.


While I took Thatkid over to "Rippity's Rainforest" which had a splash pad and playground.



We stayed until the park closed and then headed over to Plan 9 for dinner.  And beer.


Father's Day is the perfect way to cater to the men in your life.  And I think I did a pretty good job of that in planning our Father's Day.  In general, I tend to cater to Thatboy in almost all aspects.  Except the kitchen.  I still cater to me in the kitchen.  Which means we never have fish for dinner and there are no cans of tuna in the pantry.  

I can't stand tuna.  I won't even kiss Thatboy if he's eaten a tuna sandwich.  So there was no way I was going to make Wizenburg's Bouchon Au Thon.  Over the past (mumble mumble) years I've learned that chicken makes a pretty good substitute for most tuna dishes (except seared ahi....seared chicken just doesn't work for me).  And in this case, that proved to be true yet again.  Because of the tuna base, I was concerned how these would turn out.  Which is silly because it's chicken and cheese.  Which work well together in all circumstances.  These were much lighter than I was expecting, and much better.  They make a perfect lunch, or even breakfast.


Buchons Au Poulet (Adapted from A Homemade Life)
6 oz canned chicken packed in water, drained well
1 cup shredded gruyere
1/3 cup creme fraiche
3 Tbsp tomato paste
3 eggs
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/4 tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 325.  Grease a muffin tin.  Put the chicken in a medium bowl, using a fork to break it into small pieces.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well, mashing as you go.
  3. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes, until they are set on top and around the edges.
  4. Transfer the tin to a rack and let cook for 5 minutes, run a small thin knife around the edge of each bouchon and remove them from the the tin.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect low key father's day!! And I can't stand canned tuna either...though seared tuna does make me pretty happy.

    ReplyDelete